The internet is abuzz with social media activity, metamorphosing the way people communicate in real-time. Pretty evidently, a career in social media is quite a coveted one today for it presents incredible opportunities for growth.
Congratulations if you have chosen a full-time career in social media for you are in for a bittersweet ride that you will love for the most part!
Opportunities are abundant in this domain but unlike popular perception, a career in social media does not merely revolve around beautiful Instagram posts, larger-than-life depictions on Facebook, amazingly witty tweets, or going live’ at high profile events.
Career opportunities in Social Media
Many of us are of the view that sales cannot be driven without Social Media Marketing, and that’s absolutely true.
Given how social media has redefined the way businesses promote their content or prominent people establish connect at the grassroots level, a multitude of career opportunities in social media have emerged over the years to bring in efficacy and desired results.
Let’s delve into some of the essential social media career choices one can consider pursuing:
1. Social Media Strategist: Social Media Strategist is a specialist profile and the job of an expert since it involves planning, developing and implementing a company or client’s overall strategy across various social media platforms, and all these efforts concentrate on boosting their overall digital presence.
2. Social Media Manager: The profile of a Social Media Manager revolves around finding innovative ways of boosting connect with the people and requires one to possess great communication skills.
Having a creative writing ability and persuasion power are a plus for these help in promoting engagement online.
3. Social Media Analyst: As a Social Media Analyst, you are required to work on the qualitative and quantitative measurement of the performance of clients’ social media profiles, which also involves providing strategic support and reporting to clients.
4. Social Media Executive: A Social Media Executive has a vital role to play in terms of creating and maintaining client profiles online on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google Plus.
He or she is responsible for strategy planning across social media platforms, preparing insightful reports, and creating and maintaining editorial and content calendars, among others.
In addition to these, social media opportunities also include the positions of PR manager, coordinator, copywriter and associate, all of which require a candidate to possess streamlined skillsets.
Challenges in a Social Media Career
Having already touched upon a career in social media being the job of a highly skilled specialist more often than not, one can easily conclude that the path to success is not always rosy.
1. Be ready to adapt to change: The ever-dynamic nature of the social media industry requires you to be adept enough to adapt to change and be a value-addition to the company you work for.
It is important to stay abreast of the latest developments in the digital sphere so as to be able to incorporate the newest technology into your work domain.
2. Your might not always be judged as per your past good work: Talking about career path, you cannot always be judged favourably by the good work have done in the past or are capable of doing in future.
Each brand or entity is unique and will require distinct approach; your experiences in a social media campaign definitely sets precedents for the next but does not chalk out a roadmap for your career.
3. 9 to 5 job notion won’t work: Social media is active round the clock so the notion of a 9 to 5 job may not always work. While it may not be necessary to make posts during the odd hours of the day or night, you certainly need to stay vigilant to the comments a recent post is garnering from fans and followers of the accounts you monitor.
Time is of the essence and a lag in reaching out could actually thwart the chances of establishing positive connections.
4. Be flexible enough to manage demanding schedules: Get ready to master a never-ending stream of energy and enthusiasm and also possess the flexibility to manage demanding schedules.
Different shades of your character will be tested while you work on strategizing, implementing and scheduling plans for your clients’ social media not one or few but several clients simultaneously.
If you are prepared to don multiple hats and have the fire burning inside you, a career in social media can also be most fulfilling on various counts. Spearheading or being an integral part of successful, well-received campaigns time and again is extremely motivating.
Hence, if you are game for the challenges that lie ahead of you when you embark on a career in social media, the destination will more often than not be sweet!